Labels

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Everyday Yoga

Do you find yourself in yoga poses in your daily activity? Or do you ever turn your task at hand into yoga?

I recently had a relatively minor basement flooding problem that required some creative rescue plumbing (thanks Mark!), some fans and my wet-vac.  I don't know if you've ever tried to suck water out of a carpet, but my carpet vac works best if more pressure is applied.  So there I was on Saturday afternoon, on my knees in my basement, pressing my vacuum into my spongy carpet, wishing I was wrapping presents or editing my business plan or organizing my upcoming Sunday school class.  Basement flood-sucking was not my plan.

So I decided to connect the movement to my breath in a type of soggy sun salutation.  In a moment, my irritation evaporated and I was doing yoga instead of bailing my basement.

Have you ever had this happen?

Yoga is about connecting the body and the mind, the breath and the spirit. In the hustle leading up to the holidays, it is easy for us to let our practice slip, busy as we are putting everyone else first.  But whenever you take a moment for even one intentional breath, you have taken your yoga practice off the mat in class and into your life. 

I hope you are able to maintain your practice during the holidays.  We are still having class this week, at 4:30 & 7 on Monday and Thursday.  And if your family holiday plans prevent you from attending class, I hope you make some time to go to a quiet place and practice - even if it is only one intentional breath with your eyes closed in a check-out line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment